Top Wedding Questions: When to open wedding gifts. - Wedding Gift Etiquette - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

When to open wedding gifts.

Array

#1 User is offline   bravesgrl1995 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
My Fiancee and I disagree about the subject of when to open the gifts we may receive at our upcoming wedding. He thinks we should open them at the reception while the guests are still there. I think we should wait until the next day and have close family and friends over. Which one of us is correct? or are we both wrong?

#2 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
Actually, wedding gifts should be sent to the home of the bride before the wedding and opened immediately upon receipt. Then, you will send thank you notes as soon as possible.

If any gifts are brought to the reception please take those home with you to open in private. You wouldn't want to embarass any guests who may have not brought a gift.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#3 User is offline   msp 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 5

Actually, wedding gifts should be sent to the home of the bride before the wedding and opened immediately upon receipt. Then, you will send thank you notes as soon as possible.

If any gifts are brought to the reception please take those home with you to open in private. You wouldn't want to embarass any guests who may have not brought a gift. When sending the "Thank you" before the wedding, I am assuming that I can't use our monogramed Thank you cards since we won't yet be married, correct? Would I just send a "package" type Thank you?

#4 User is offline   msp 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 5
When sending a Thank you for a gift received before the wedding, I am assuming that I can't use our monogramed "Thank you" cards since we won't yet be married, correct? Would it be ok to send a "packaged" type thank you card?

#5 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
No, you shouldn't use the monogrammed cards until after you're married but a store bought thank you card is all right, as long as you personalize it. Please be sure to note something about the gift such as:

It was so thoughtful of you to send the blue crystal vase. It goes so well with our new living room decor and I am looking forward to using it for all of the fresh cut flowers from my new garden.

..or something to that effect. let your guest know that you actually know what they sent and how it will be used.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

#6 User is offline   msp 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 5
just to be clear, since my fiancee is STILL giving me a hard time even after your response...it is OK to buy a package of Thank you cards and send them out as the gifts come in, correct? We are talking about the packs that you buy with 50 of the same cards in a pack

#7 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
Yes, these are fine as long as you personalize them or include a handwritten note inside.

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users