Top Wedding Questions: Getting married on a tuesday... - Wedding Reception Planning - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Getting married on a tuesday...

Array

#1 User is offline   melly17 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 6
I am getting married on a tuesday at 7PM. We have invited about 140 people and our reception will probably start around 7:30-7:45 and last for about 2 hours. We aren't having any dancing or drinking so we figured 2 hours was pretty reasonable. My question is should we bother to have a big buffet dinner with all the trimmings or will sandwiches and finger foods suffice? I know a lot of people are not wanting to be out too late on a work/school night. Any menu ideas?

Thanks!

#2 Guest_expertplanner_*

• Group: Guest users
Dear Melly:

With your reception time, you should host a full meal. It sounds like you may be responsible for the catering. If this is the case, I'd suggest shopping at a wholesale food warehouse where you can get bulk food for your money. A menu recommendation might be baked chicken, rice, green beans, rolls, salad, and a sheet cake if money is an issue. Don't forget the dinnerware and utensils! You could either rent them, or purchase them really inexpensively from a restaurant equipment wholesaler, if necessary.

Cheers!

#3 User is offline   The Video Pros 

• Video Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 231
The last wedding where we provided DJ services on a weeknight the bride and groom were sadly disappointed by how few attended. Their wedding was on a Thursday at 6:00 pm with the reception afterward, and they had invited well over 150 and only thirty or so came.

Before purchasing a lot of food, please check your RSVPs so you definitely know how many will be attending. People always have good intentions and say "Yes, I'll be there", but when an event is held during the weekday.... work, children, and school schedules are often the reason for "no shows".

If you plan on only two hours, having it professionally catered will definitely expedite the dinner process and provide you and your family more time to visit with friends and family.

Keep in mind that feeding that many people yourself will take a lot of coordinating and work before, during and after the event (i.e. someone has to clean up, etc.).

Hope things work out as planned!

#4 User is offline   melly17 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 6
Thanks for the advice. I've invited about 140 and so far I have 95 RSVPS with a yes so I hope they stick to their word. I know it is strange to have it on a tuesday evening but it is our anniversary of when we went on our first date so we wanted honor that. Unfortunately, we didn't budget very well and we just don't have the funds to do a big nice dinner. I know that is terrible but I we really can't do it without maxing out a credit card and we made it clear that this wedding would be paid for in CASH! We're going to do our best though to make the food buffet as nice as possible. Thanks!

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users