Top Wedding Questions: what should the brother of the bride include in a speech, particularly since he has to also speak on father's behalf? - Wedding Toast and Speech Etiquette - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

what should the brother of the bride include in a speech, particularly since he has to also speak on father's behalf?

Array

#1 User is offline   waldo 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
Hi there,

My older sister is getting married on the 21st of January, and I have been begged to make a speech. The catch is that my father has, for outrageous reasons, declined to make the traditional speech of 'father of the bride'. The idea is to have him make a short appearance, and I am to take over for him. Now: do you have any suggestions as far as content is concerned, for both my father's little 'announcement", and how I, as brother of the bride, should continue, making sure that I go through the necessary and appropriate content (with the addition of what I might mention on my father's behalf)?

#2 User is offline   flowersue 

• WEDDING FLOWERS PRO
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 382
You are a really good brother and son to do this! If you just speak from your heart and keep it in the right, loving and hopeful place you will be great. Share your love on behalf of the family and try not to sweat it. A heartfelt wish for her "happily ever after!" will suffice!
Sue of Hobart's Fine Florals

#3 User is offline   toastwriter 

• Wedding Speeches Toasts Moderator
  • PipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 27
There are a few things you'll want to include in your speech if your father chooses not to speak, or doesn't include them. They are:

1. Thanking the guests (especially out-of-town guests) for coming

2. Welcoming the groom into the family

You need not worry about covering anything else from a typical Father of the Bride speech, instead focusing on your role as Brother of the Bride.

You can include a favorite memory of your sister when you were younger, some of her traits you admire (possibly something you think will carry well into her marriage) and how happy you are that she has found the right partner for her.

If you've had time to get to know the groom, you can include a little about him as well, some things you like about him and why you're happy to welcome him to the family.

Waldo, don't worry about your father's speech/announcement being short. A lot of wedding speeches and toasts have been getting shorter (and more to the point) for the benefit of the audience. As long as you give a heartfelt speech to your sister - long or short - that will be what is remembered.

Best of luck!
Rick Pieczonka - Instant Wedding Toasts
http://www.instantweddingtoasts.com

#4 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
Read the following article:

Crash Course in Writing Wedding Speeches & Toasts
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users