Top Wedding Questions: Do we have to have a gift registry? - Wedding Gift Registry Etiquette - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Do we have to have a gift registry?

Array

#1 User is offline   ellaphant 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
Neither one of us wants to register. We see it as an added stress (updating it, making sure there is enough on it, varied prices). Ok, it's just me that is seeing it as stressful.

We have everything we need (china, flatware, etc, etc). We recently combined households and must have a garage sale to sell some stuff! I know you can register for non-traditional stuff, but we just don't want to deal with it.

No one in my family ever registered- it's customary to give money. FH's family is the same way.

Someone just told me that if they go to a wedding and the couple isn't registered, they just sign a card and that's it. They don't give a gift. I think that is rude.
When I went to weddings, if someone wasn't registered I got them a gift (something I would like- ie: a nice frame, etc).

So, I think I need to hear someone say to me it's ok not to register! B)

Thanks! :)

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10742
Dear Not Registered,

It is fine not to register. I do the same. I look for a registry at the usual places and if I don't find one, I give what I want to give. So, feel free to be registry free.

Some may still just give a card because of gift burn-out. Too many are expect too much of guests these days. So, some couples are feeling the brunt of it. However, this can happen even if you register.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

#3 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 8033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
You're "right on" in the gift giving leagues. While gift registries do provide the guests with help making their selection, I prefer a gift from the heart. it's always really cool to see what another person selects for me. It really says something!

Kudos!
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, IncŪ, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users