Top Wedding Questions: Dress for Step-Mother of the Bride - Wedding Attire for Mothers - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dress for Step-Mother of the Bride

Array

#1 User is offline   Beauty50 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
I will be attending a 3:00 p.m. wedding the middle of October in Minnesota and have chosen a long taupe dress. The top of the dress is a gold-type glitter, bottom of dress and pleated collar is taupe with rhinestone bow pin. Very beautiful dress (assistance from my husband choosing the dress). Shoes match perfectly...taupe in color with pin-shaped rhinestone across strappy toeless shoe with 2 " heel. Should I match my bag to the top of the dress in some form of gold or go with taupe? Jewelry will be a simple solitaire necklace and stud earrings. Stockings color? Reception will take place between 5:00-5:30. Shawl? Color? Thanks for your expert advice.

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10,742
Dear Step-Mother,

Unless you are being seated as one of the mothers, you are supposed to dress as one of the guests. Plus, this dress could be more formal than the mother of the bride, which is a major social faux pas. Additionally, glittery material, sequins, and beading is worn only for formal evening affairs.

Wear a shawl if this is revealing and in church. Do not wear nylons with open toed shoes--faux pas. Handbag could be slightly darker than the shoes. We match our purses to our shoes.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users