Top Wedding Questions: Personal Bridal Shower Theme - Bridal Shower Etiquette and Planning - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Personal Bridal Shower Theme

Array

#1 User is offline   RTWBride 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 3
I recently received an invitation to a wedding shower that indicated it would be a "personal shower." We were given hints that the bride wanted books, lotion, clothes, etc. At first I thought I had mistaken what I read, but a friend confirmed that the bride wanted "personal" gifts because she already had house stuff. I was annoyed because I felt that this was totally inappropriate. I decided that I wasn't going to buy "personal" items because it was my money I thought I should be able to purchase what I wanted to give. So I went to the shower and my gift was about the third to be opened. I purchased my friend a nice little lingerie set (classy, not trashy). Then I hear one of her relatives go, "I thought this was supposed to be a personal shower?" I thought that was kind of rude and it made me kind of feel uneasy about my gift. Was I wrong to purchase a typical shower item, or was this bride just being greedy?

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10,742
Dear RTWBride,

Personally, I find most showers a bit greedy these days. Many must feel the same, because the popularity of the gift-less shower is growing.

A personal shower is not a proper term. Some use it, but it really isn't proper. If she wanted guests to buy her personal items just for herself, this appears greedy--as if saying that she should be treated because she is getting married.

The other guests were extremely rude to mention anything negative about anyone's gift.

She didn't need anything for her home, so I my opinion she really shouldn't have allowed anyone to host a gift giving shower for her. A gift-less shower would have been in much better taste.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users