Top Wedding Questions: Forgot to send wedding gift - is it too late - Wedding Gift Etiquette - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Forgot to send wedding gift - is it too late

Array

#1 User is offline   IansGirl 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 8
My fiance's cousin got married last September. I had only met him once (he lives in a different city). I was invited to the shower (this was the first time I met the bride) and brought a gift.

We sent back the wedding RSVP with a will not attend because we had previous plans to be out of state that weekend.

Right before we left the state we purchased wedding gifts and a card for the couple. I wrapped them and put them in a bag on the shelf in the spare room closet and planned to mail them when we got back home and had an appropriate size box.

I just realized that the gifts are still in the closet. The wedding was almost a year ago. Do I box the gifts up and send them immediately with an explanation note stating how sorry we are or do I just forget about it? Even though I am sure it is no longer valid, I do have the gift receipts dated from a year ago. I am just so embarrassed. We have not seen or spoken to the bride and groom since the wedding shower.

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10,742
Dear IansGirl,

This happens, so please don't feel too embarrassed. First of all, if you didn't attend, you are not obligated to send a gift. So, this is a polite option. But, if you want to send the gift now, it is fine. Including a little note, as you suggested, would be a good idea as well. The note could be humorous, as we all forget things sometimes.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

#3 User is offline   IansGirl 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 8
Thank you so much for responding so quickly!! I have learned so much from reading this website!!! [:)] I think you are right, a humorous note is the way to go. I don't know what I would do with the gifts if I did not send them anyway. I feel so much better now after reading your post. I was so mortified when I discovered those gifts!!!

#4 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10,742
I can't imagine anyone having a problem with someone so obviously interested in doing the right thing.

No worries.
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users