Top Wedding Questions: Wearing Wedding Veil at Outdoor Wedding - Wedding Veils and Headpiece - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Wearing Wedding Veil at Outdoor Wedding

Array

#1 User is offline   Wedding627 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 2
We are getting married on the grounds of a Mansion in Newport, RI - Wedding feel is "casual elegance", understated yet elegant. The train on my gown is medium-long. I really want to wear a long veil (chapel?) and possibly an elbow length veil on top of it.

Will that be seen as too formal for a marriage outside?

#2 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
I think we have several past posts about this topic. Please search first (as per the rules). if you still think your question hasn't been answered, then please let us know by replying.

Thank you.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, IncŪ, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#3 User is offline   Wedding627 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 2
I have seen quite a few posts about Outdoor weddings, but they all talk about very "informal" outdoor weddings. By nature an outdoor wedding is more informal than if being held in a Church, but we are having a very formal reception following the marriage (not a BBQ or outdoor gathering as some other posts have mentioned). The fact that our wedding is both outdoors, but at a historic mansion is unique and is also what is confusing me with the correct attire. Any help would be greatly apreciated!

#4 User is offline   Makeup Expert 

• IMAGE CONSULTANT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 575
The chapel-length veil is not appopriate for an outdoor wedding, even when held on the grounds of a historic mansion. However, you can wear an elbow-length or fingertip veil, and you can get very creative with the veil style by using beaded scalloped-edge or even lace-edged veil. You can definitely go a little bit more traditional with the veil style (not length!) and dress, since the historic mansions of Newport, RI provide magnificent backgrounds for a semi-formal to formal reception, depending on time of the day. Enjoy the wedding!
Irina Feygin,
IMpeccable iMage, Inc. Image and Beauty and For Princess Bride

#5 User is offline   Wedding Hair Stylist 

• WEDDING HAIR EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 35
I am taking a clue from your statement that the reception following is very formal. So you and your guests are dressing for that, I presume. Picture, if you will, the mansions in their hay day. They held tremendous balls of a very formal nature with receptions on their outdoor terraces. I have toured the mansions as well as serviced weddings there. Go for the veil and formal feeling you want. Take the emphasis away from the outdoor part and put it on the surroundings and the formal reception. This is not a typical outdoor wedding; this is Newport. I believe this would be stunning and your desire to have the veil of your vision could never out do the mansion surroundings, but only enhance the grandeur of your moment.
Gretchen Maurer, Stylist Instructor and Author of The Business of Bridal Beauty and The Morning of Your Wedding.

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users