Top Wedding Questions: Announcement Sent Before Wedding - Wedding Announcement Etiquette - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Announcement Sent Before Wedding

Array

#1 User is offline   bjblsmom 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
I just found out that my sons fiance and her family sent wedding announcements to our family and friends 6 weeks prior to the wedding.

I am embarrassed and was wondering what would be the best way to handle this with my family and friends when it is brought up. Someone has already said something and I'm not sure what the best response would be.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10742
Dear Bjblsmom,

This is unfortunate and embarrassing...and a great example of why etiquette is still important. Receiving an announcement before the wedding could be confusing (is this a strange invitation?). It could be insulting (we are hosting this great even and you are not invited). It could also appear as a reminder that these people are getting married and would like gifts, which isn't the intention of announcement, but could appear as such.

I suppose the best way to approach it is to apologize and admit that some people just don't know what is proper--that it was an honest mistake. Please let them know that they are not obligated to give a gift because of the announcement.

Best wishes,
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users