Top Wedding Questions: Putting destination location on wedding website - Destination Wedding Planning - Top Wedding Questions

Putting destination location on wedding website How soon to put location details on wedding website?

Array

#1 User is offline   luckyduck 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 4
We're having a somewhat destination wedding (about 4 hours away from our home base). We're getting ready to send out our save-the-dates soon. All the wedding planner books I've read say to put only the city on the save-the-dates, not the actual specific location, to keep it somewhat of a surprise until we send out the actual invitations with all the info on it.

However, we're doing a wedding website so guests can look at it for fun and read about us, look at pictures, and click on our registries. We're putting our wedding website URL on the save-the-dates. We're currently working on the website and it has pages for the ceremony/reception (location, info) and guest information (how to book a room, driving directions, etc). So it seems like it doesn't really keep much of a surprise element to it. (When guests receive save-the-dates it only has the city, but when they look at the website which is printed on the save-the-dates, it has all the specific location info). On the other hand, it is a somewhat destination location so people may want to know the details/book a room ahead of time, make their travel plans, etc.

Should we go ahead and fill in all the location details on our website so when they get the save-the-dates now, they can visit our website and see all of that info? Or should we wait on filling out those pages until a few months down the line/until we send out the actual invitations that have the location info on them?

Confused on what to do! Don't want to give all the information out too quickly, but also think it might be helpful for guests to know upfront.

FYI, we're planning to send our save-the-dates out this month (November) and our wedding is August.

#2 User is offline   The Mannersmith 

• Manners & Etiquette Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 316
As someone who often must travel for family events, the more information the better. Suggestions on hotels and the exact location for the ceremony and celebration are critical as I make my travel plans. While you need not share colors, menus and other precise choices, the venue is an important details and I do suggestion you include it for both save-the-date cards as well as on your wedding website.

I wish you all the best.
Jodi R R Smith, The Mannersmith Etiquette Consulting
Author, The Etiquette Book, A Complete Guide To Modern Manners

#3 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10742
I agree. The more information for those traveling the better. I definitely don't know what the writers of these wedding planning books meant. It really doesn't make any sense.

The one thing I would caution you about is your website and listing it on your save the date. It is only appropriate to list it if, huge if, your registry information is discrete. You mention "registries" and "clicking on our registries". This implies that your multiple registries are a focus. This is not positive and could be viewed as the reason to list your site on the save the date. Your registries should be a minor listing and not a focus. Your guests shouldn't feel as if they are being invited just to provide a gift, but because they are loved and wanted. I'm sure this is the focus you want. :)
Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

#4 User is offline   Nancy Tucker 

• President, Coordinators' Corner
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Guest users
  • posts 1555
  • Interests:Anything related to the wedding industry and my family. In my free time I love mysteries and my Kindle.
Great answers and advice. The books are most often written from the perspective of the bride's hometown wedding and do not incorporate the destination wedding and the differences that are required for the invitations time allowance. Yes, the more information you can give the better. Be very careful as mentioned not to sound like you are fishing for gifts.
Nancy Tucker

Share this topic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users