Top Wedding Questions: Appropriate to use paper plates for informal bridal shower - Bridal Shower Etiquette and Planning - Top Wedding Questions

Appropriate to use paper plates for informal bridal shower paper plate etiquette

Array

#1 User is offline   Theresa's Mom 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
Is it appropriate to use paper plates and/or napkins at an informal bridal brunch shower held at my home?

#2 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 8033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
It is fne to use paper products for an informal bridal shower. In fact, the showers really shouldn't be formal, but if you wanted to be a bit more fancy you can use your regular everyday dishes or even your fine China.

The issue I see here is that you call yourself Theresa's Mom. I hope Theresa is not the bride, since mothers should not host a shower for their daughters. Showers should be hosted by some other guest of the wedding who might want to offer to host, such as the bridesmaids or close family friend. I knoe moms would like to see their daughters "have it all", but please wait for someone else to offer to host a shower. Guests are already attending the wedding and sending a wedding gift, so it wouldn't be polite for those same hosts (parent's typically are assumed to be hosts even if they're not paying) to expect their guests to attend another gift giving event.

I hope I haven't rained on your parade, but I do want to offer you the best advice from an etiquette perspective.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, IncŪ, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#3 User is offline   The Mannersmith 

• Manners & Etiquette Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 316
I echo both of Donna's messages.

Yes, you may use paper products at a bridal shower. There are some fabulously fancy ones available now, even fully recyclable, single use bamboo plates as well as utensils that almost look like flatware!

And as Donna mentioned, bridal showers should never be hosted by an immediate family member (such as a mother or sister of the bride).

I wish you all the best.
Jodi R R Smith, The Mannersmith Etiquette Consulting
Author, The Etiquette Book, A Complete Guide To Modern Manners

#4 User is offline   Etiquette Guy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 235
  • Interests:Food, writing, teaching, golf, gardening, travel, alternative healing, meditation.
I agree with Donna. I would recommend using sturdy paper plates or even reusable plastic ones. You can also buy inexpensive wicker plate holders. This depends somewhat on what you're serving. If it's small tea sandwiches and other finger food, a small 6 inch plate is perfect. Use fun napkins!
Jay Remer, The Etiquette Guy, International Protocol and Corporate & Social Etiquette

Share this topic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users