Top Wedding Questions: Men's attire for afternoon church wedding - Groom and Groomsmen Attire - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Men's attire for afternoon church wedding Suits versus tuxes

Array

#1 User is offline   Seashell 

• PipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 20
Hello,
I live in Western PA (where the culture seems to be about 10-20 years behind everywhere else) and my fiance and I are marrying in a small church ceremony (about 60-75 people) about 1-1:30 in the afternoon. I never heard of wearing a suit for an afternoon wedding instead of tux (I have seen alot of weddings in this area with tuxes, and honestly, I am not even sure if anyone would notice regarding the tuxes.) I am not sure the rental places around here rent suits (and I don't want anyone to have to buy). I am going to be wearing an ivory lace dress with about a 2 foot train and we planned for him to match my dress with his vest/tie, but the other guys to not match the girls as they may not want to wear light rose. My theme is seashells and the colors are a rose pink and metallic gold. What can we have the rest of the men wear (as well as the fathers); someone suggested all black ties/vests with white shirts, (or grey, but that would not match ivory). What about a color of tan to match the theme of metallic gold?. The reception will be a light luncheon in the church hall about 3:30, fairly informal. Thank you so much!!

#2 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
I don't think it matters where you're from, proper attire does matter (I live in Central PA). I think it must be a concern for you if you're asking.

If you want the men to be appropriately dressed, Gray or black strollers are the correct attire for an afternoon semi-formal wedding. This is nothing new, even if you think your guests might be "a little behind the times". Your wedding seems like it's semi-formal, but then the reception seems informal, so it's difficult to choose between strollers and suits. I'd choose suits, which I understand can now be rented from the Men's Wearhouse. I'd check around to see if any stores near you rent suits. Otherwise, poll the men to see if they'd be interested in buying a suit to add to their wardrobe. These days you can find some suits at very affordable prices.

What time of year will the wedding be held?
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, IncŪ, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#3 User is offline   Seashell 

• PipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 20
Thank you for your information! The wedding is in mid-September. (The women will be wearing spaghetti strapped dresses with wraps to cover their arms).

Actually, I got to thinking after I posted this that could it be that maybe what I thought was a tux is technically a stroller instead? Do most tux shops interchange the word "tux" for stroller with the same idea in mind?
Regarding the mix of styles, yes, it is difficult as we want to have a church wedding and my dress and his outfit are more semi-formal, but we didn't have the funds to do a sit-down dinner (which would actually have been nice). We will probably have about 60 people maximum.

#4 User is offline   Etiquette Guy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 235
  • Interests:Food, writing, teaching, golf, gardening, travel, alternative healing, meditation.
A stroller is actually a modified morning suit. A morning suit has tails on the jacket, whereas a stroller, being less formal does not. Either can be worn at weddings and other occasions before 6 pm. After 6, one would wear a tuxedo or dinner jacket. Morning and stroller suits are worn with neckties; tuxedos are worn with bow ties. I think they all look very smart. Best of luck with your nuptials and thanks for taking the time to ask the question! Getting it right matters!
Jay Remer, The Etiquette Guy, International Protocol and Corporate & Social Etiquette

#5 User is offline   Makeup Expert 

• IMAGE CONSULTANT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 575
I like the Etiquette Guy's idea of a morning suit. It looks very stylish and very European. My brother-in-law took my advice to wear a morning suit for an early afternoon ceremony when he married my sister-in-law. He looked great, received tons of compliments for his elegance, and the photos (which, of course, last forever!) look absolutely spectacular!
Color-wise, I would suggest the groomsmen's ties to match the bridesmaids' dress color. It is just a touch of color that won't bother the guys but will tie your entire wedding party together, color-wise. Enjoy your wedding!
Irina Feygin,
IMpeccable iMage, Inc. Image and Beauty and For Princess Bride

#6 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8033
Yes. My son wore a stroller for his Sunday wedding at Noon.

0230_Vermette.png

Photography by Cindy DeSau Photography
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, IncŪ, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

#7 User is offline   Seashell 

• PipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 20
All of your information helps so much! Thank you all of you; Wedding Queen, your picture attached helped alot as that is basically what our men are wearing - now I've got it :)

#8 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8033
You're welcome. Just be sure to use a good rental company and get fitted properly. We had a bit of a nightmare with a tux shop in eastern PA. My son told me they never suggested a stroller for a morning wedding either. Not all shops have knowledgeable salespeople so it's good to do your research before you head out shopping.

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users