Top Wedding Questions: Stepmother of Groom Dress - Wedding Attire for Mothers - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stepmother of Groom Dress

Array

#1 User is offline   holli77 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 2
0475556361200R__ASTL_60x80.jpg 0475556361200R__A1_60x80.jpg

Hello, I am the stepmother of the groom. The wedding is taking place early September, outside and at 2:00 pm. The bride has specifically stated she does not want a "fancy" affair. I am not on speaking terms with the mother of the groom, and will probably not meet the mother of the bride prior to the ceremony. I am looking for an opinion on whether this dress is appropriate.

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
These photos are really small but I think I get the basic idea. Unless you're under 30 years of age, it's too short.

If you're not being treated as one of the mothers, which is often the case with stepmothers, you should wear what other guests wear. I'd select a knee length dress with some fall colors, but not black for an afternoon wedding.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#3 User is offline   Etiquette Guy 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 235
  • Interests:Food, writing, teaching, golf, gardening, travel, alternative healing, meditation.
I agree with Donna. I would add to resist wearing anything provocative, which might draw attention away from the bride!
Jay Remer, The Etiquette Guy, International Protocol and Corporate & Social Etiquette

#4 User is offline   Makeup Expert 

• IMAGE CONSULTANT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 575
Totally agree with both experts! Being a bit on the conservative side means being on the safe side. A knee-length dress is a safe bet with a touch of class. Have a great time at the wedding!
Irina Feygin,
IMpeccable iMage, Inc. Image and Beauty and For Princess Bride

#5 User is offline   holli77 

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 2
thank you so much for the opinion. I think I will go with this one, knee length vintage sheath. I am thinking a cropped sweater with it? Thank you!!!

#6 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
I didn't see a photo, so I can't comment on the color, but the style sounds great.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#7 User is offline   The Mannersmith 

• Manners & Etiquette Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 316
The description of your second choice sounds much more apporpriate. Classic and classy are always in good taste. Enjoy the wedding ~
Jodi R R Smith, The Mannersmith Etiquette Consulting
Author, The Etiquette Book, A Complete Guide To Modern Manners

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users