Top Wedding Questions: Convalidation of Marriage - wording for invite? - Wedding Invitation Etiquette - Top Wedding Questions

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

Convalidation of Marriage - wording for invite?

Array

#1 User is offline   moyabean 

• PipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 20
Can anyone please help me with the proper wording for an invitation if we are convalidating our marriage in the Catholic church? How can that be worded on an invitation so that people that may not be Catholic understand what a convalidation is? Would it be proper to say that we are entering the sacrament of marriage?

Confused! [:)]

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now 

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 10,742
Dear Wording,

You are legally married, so from an etiquette point of view you are reaffirming or renewing your vows. This would be my suggestion because your guests may be confused to why you are having another wedding ceremony. Your invitation could look like this:

The honour of your presence is requested

at the renewal of the wedding vows of

Mr. and Mrs. You

Date

Time

If you are creating programs, you could explain what this ceremony means in the Catholic religion.

Also, please do not register for gifts. This is not viewed as a gift giving event.

Best wishes,

Rebecca Black, Etiquette By Rebecca

#3 User is offline   Deacon Bob 

• INDEPENDANT CATHOLIC DEACON
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 92
  • Interests:Deacon Bob was ordained an Independent Catholic Deacon in July of 2001. He currently serves as Chaplain for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue and is a past International Vice President of Parents Without Partners. He has presented seminars on leadership and relationships throughout the United States and Canada. Bob is the father of a 23 year old step son Chris and a 14 year old daughter Stephanie. He is also the proud grandfather of Christopher, Jr.
I am assuming that you were married in a civil ceremony. If so, I think the easiest thing to do is to call the event either a Renewal of Vows or a "Blessing of Our Marriage". If it was a religious ceremony I would go with the Renewal of Vows and have the ceremony on your anniversary. I think everyone should understand this without much need for explaination. A non Catholic might not understand the difference between the Sacrament of Marriage and the original wedding but they will probably understand what a blessing of the marriage is and a renewal of vows are. Best wishes to you.
Deacon Bob Tousey

#4 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
Congratulations on your decision to validate your marriage within the church! Catholics who have married outside the Catholic Church (civilly) are encouraged to consult with their parish priest concerning their existing marriage and to prepare for the blessing of that marriage. The blessing, called a convalidation ceremony, should be simple and quiet. When planning to have your marriage blessed by a priest or renewing your vows, the object is to keep things informal.

It would be acceptable to include a short, handwritten note in the invitation, explaining your service for those not knowing the meaning of a convalidation of marriage.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

#5 User is offline   moyabean 

• PipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 20
Thanks, everyone, for the input. My fiance and I actually were only considering getting "married" in a civil ceremony for health insurance and other legal benefits reasons. Based on your input, though, we are now going to put off doing that, because it sounds as if we would not be able to have a traditional catholic wedding if we were already legally married.

#6 User is offline   Deacon Bob 

• INDEPENDANT CATHOLIC DEACON
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 92
  • Interests:Deacon Bob was ordained an Independent Catholic Deacon in July of 2001. He currently serves as Chaplain for the Howard County Department of Fire and Rescue and is a past International Vice President of Parents Without Partners. He has presented seminars on leadership and relationships throughout the United States and Canada. Bob is the father of a 23 year old step son Chris and a 14 year old daughter Stephanie. He is also the proud grandfather of Christopher, Jr.
Why did you choose not to give us the correct facts to begin with?
Deacon Bob Tousey

#7 User is offline   moyabean 

• PipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 20
I did provide you with the correct facts. Please re-read:

Can anyone please help me with the proper wording for an invitation if we are convalidating our marriage in the Catholic church? How can that be worded on an invitation so that people that may not be Catholic understand what a convalidation is? Would it be proper to say that we are entering the sacrament of marriage?

The operational word is "if."

#8 User is offline   Wedding Queen and MOG 

• Forum Moderator & Wedding Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 8,033
  • Interests:Weddings, etiquette, puppies and dogs
I think what Deacon Bob was saying is that the way the post was worded it appeared as though you were going to be having this service, not considering a choice between two scenarios. Perhaps he could have guided you and been of more help had you laid all of your intentions out in your first post.

In light of the way the post was worded I believe Deacon Bob's question to you was appropriate.
Donna, Wedding Queen, President; Top Wedding Sites, Inc®, a wedding planning guide, and Recent Mother of the Groom -

"Write your sorrows in the sand, your blessings in stone".

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users