Who Chooses The Mother/Son Wedding Song?
Who picks out the song for the father/daughter dance at the reception, the daughter or the father? In this article, we’ll discuss:
- Who chooses the father/daughter dance song?
- Who chooses the mother/son dance song?
- Are the lyrics that important?
- Song ideas
Who picks out the song for the father/daughter dance at the reception, the daughter or the father? Who picks out the song for the mother/son dance at the wedding reception, the mother or the son? And should the songs chosen have lyrics about mothers/fathers or sons/daughters?
Traditionally, the bride will choose the song for her and her father while the groom will choose the song for him and his mother. This becomes a special tribute to the parents – sort of a gift to the mother and father. Of course, it’s perfectly fine for it to be a joint decision!
When it comes to the song (and the lyrics), it should be special enough that it reflects the love and relationship that the duos share.
Other “Expert” Opinions
Take suggestions from mom. She might have some idea of what she want song she wants to dance to, so ask her. You have the final say, but she’ll appreciate the request.
Pick something with meaning, something you shared when you were a child, or something that she always loved. That extra layer of sentiment will add potent emotion to the dance.
The Father/Daughter Dance is done immediately following The Wedding Party Dance. This is where The Bride dances with her father to the song of their choice. Traditionally, “Daddy’s Little Girl” had been the favorite, however; over the years other selections have become much more popular and rarely is this song used anymore.
The Mother/Son Dance is not quite as commonly requested and is done after the Father/Daughter Dance. This is where The Groom dances with his mother to the song of their choice. Traditionally, this dance did not exist, however, about 15 years ago it started appearing as a requested specialty dance. In some cases, The Bride and Groom choose to combine The Father/Daughter Dance with The Mother/Son Dance and select an appropriate song. –
Mother/Son Dance Song Ideas
- (Mom You Always Were) The Perfect Fan – The Backstreet Boys – Hear Sample
- All To You – DJ Keo– Hear Sample
- It Happens in a Heartbeat – Gloria Sklerov & Barbara Rothstein Vocal by Teresa James – Hear Sample
- I Hope You Dance – Lee Ann Womack – Hear Sample
- A Wedding Thank You – Mikki Vierek – Hear Sample
Father/Daughter Dance Song Ideas
- It Won’t Be Like This For Long, Darius Rucker YouTube | iTunes
- When You Need Me, Bruce Springsteen YouTube | iTunes
- Dance With My Father, Luther Vandross YouTube | iTunes
- Daughters, John Mayer YouTube | iTunes
- It’s For My Dad, Nancy Sinatra YouTube | iTunes